The Northridge book club was formed as a social activity for the Northridge sub division in Erie, Colorado. Our first meeting was held on June 30th, 2009. We meet from 7 – 8:30 on the first Tuesday of every month with a different member hosting the book club.
The monthly host of the bookclub will remind members of the book we are reading, the date of the next meeting and the location of the meeting. Jolene will keep this list up to date with book selections and hosting schedules. Contact Jolene to get the list of members and their contact information.
2014 Planned Reading:
- May 6th: Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese hosted by Marilyn
- June 3rd: Me Before You by Jo Jo Moyes hosted by Karyl
- July 1st: Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls hosted by Kristina
- August 5th: TBD hosted by Renee
- September 2nd: TBD at Margot’s
- October 7th: TBD at Cathy
- November 4th: TBD at TBD
- December 2nd: Holiday Party at TBD
2014 Books read
- January 7th: Home Movie Night
- February 4th: Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
- March 4th: Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford
- April 1st: The Cuckoo’s calling by David Galbraith (Rowlings)
2013 Books read
- February 5th: The Memoirs of Cleopatra at Michelle’s home
- March 5th: The Language of Flowers*BOOKBAG at Angelika’s home
- April 2nd: The Faith Club *BOOKBAG at Debra’s home
- May 7th: The Art of Fielding at Gunner’s home
- June 4th: Any Julia Child’s Book (we’ll talk ALL THINGS JULIA CHILD) at Jolene’s
- July 2nd: My Own Country by Abraham Verghese at Kristina’s home
- August 6th: Praise the Human Season by Don Robertson at Nancy’s home
- September 3rd: Lean In by Sheryl Sandburg at Cathy’s home
- October 1st: The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer at Marilyn’s home
- November 5th: Benediction byKent Haruf at Margot’s home
We filled Kristina’s house with joyful greetings and amazing food. Eight members and their spouses attended along with some little ones. We missed those that could not make it. Soup was the main fare and desserts overflowed along with cider, wine, and beer. The guys just might start up a Northridge Beer Club touring all the breweries in the area. Nancy got a lot of good suggestions for our upcoming MOVIE NIGHT that she will host to kick off 2014!
- Click here to go to the Northridge Recipe post created to share our recipe’s.
2012 Books read
(go to end of page to review 2011, 2010 and 2009 books read)
- February 7th: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand at Margot’s home
- March 6th: The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan - Need a host
- April 3rd: Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller at Michelle’s home
- May 1st: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot at Chris’s home
- June 5th: The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (Chinese Family Life before WWII- Pulitzer Prize) at Jolene’s home
- July 3rd: Up from the Blue by Susan Henderson at Kristina’s home
- August 7th: The Dove Keepers by Alice Hoffman >at >Nancy’s home
- September 4th: Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman at Esther’s home
- October 2nd: Under the Banner of Heaven at Cathy’s home
- November 6th: The Rocket Boys at Connie’s home
- December 4th: The Secret Keeper at Marilyn’s home – HOLIDAY GATHERING WITH SPOUSES
2011 Books Read
- February 1st meeting. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wioblewski. ****
- March 1st meeting: The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
- April 5th meeting: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- May 3rd meeting: Watership Down by Richard Adams
- June 7th meeting: The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeisterat ****
- July 5th meeting: The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton ****
- August 2nd meeting: Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson at Cathy S’s home.
- September 6th meeting: Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein at Nancy C’s home ****
- October 4th meeting: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan at Connie’sDeitsch’s home
- November 7th meeting: The 13th Tale by Diane Setterfield Lisa host at Nancy B’s home.
- December 6th meeting: Paper Bag Chirstmas by Kevin Alan Milne at Jolene’s home.
2010 Books Read
- January No meeting
- February 2nd meeting: Peter the Great.
- March 2nd meeting: To Kill a Mockingbird ****
- April 6th meeting: Beneath the Marble Sky. ****
- May 6th Measure of a Man.
- June 1st A tree grows in Brooklyn. ****
- July 6th meeting. People of the book by Geraldine Brooks ****
- August 3rd meeting. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. ****
- September 7th meeting. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.
- October 5th meeting. Nothing to Envy by B. Demick ****
- November 2nd meeting. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford ****
- December 7th meeting. The Autobiography of Santa Clausby Jeff Guinn.
2009 Books Read
- August 4th meeting: Mountains beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
- September 1st meeting: Their eyes were watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- October 6th meeting: The Spiral Staircase by Karen Armstrong
- November 3rd meeting: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows ****
- December 1st meeting: The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig ****
Giving Back to the Community
- $200 Cash Donations to the library - allowed them to add two new book bags. The Good Earth by Pearl Buck and The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan.
- Food bank donations in summer – car load of food.
- Christmas gifts to children in need in the Erie community from the giving tree at Summit Bank.
Great Wine: McManis Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
Books RECOMMENDED by members:
Selected as most want to read (based on feedback received 11/2013)
- A Higher Call – by Adam Makos – about a German fighter plane pilot (7/2013)
- The Story of a Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon a deaf African boy and a blind white girl (7/2013)
- Inferno – by Dan Brown (7/2013)
- Letters from Berlin by Leiff and Dos (7/2013) German mother (or grandmother) during the war
- Sold by Patricia McCormick *BB (girl from Napal sold into slavery)
- The Wednesday Letters by Jason Wright *BB (Love letters a husband wrote to his wife – every Wed)
- Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
- Galileo’s Finger by Peter Atkins
*BB = Book bags available at the library: A lot to choose from – Search for yourselfTags: Book club, neighborhood